Monday, April 13, 2009

Diorama Drama


My diorama was centered on how women in Islamic nations are treated. I took a box and painted it an oppressing black. I then located a photo of an Islamic man facing away from the camera and transferred it into a negative... sort of a sterile xray. I then super imposed the rules of the High Court of the Islamic State of Afghanistan that I soaked in tea to stain as the years have stained mankind. I also made a burka out of broad cloth and created a stitching of mesh to cover the eyes... the burka then in turn covered the diorama itself. As my classmates passed by, they were encouraged to put the burka on so that they could see what many women see everyday: a trapped life.



Our class was also encouraged to make a list of other dioramas that caught our eye. We were asked to answer the following five questions:
  • Which diorama evoked a strong emotion in me (anger, sadness, etc.)?
  • It sadden me to think how many potential great thinkers have been aborted, but it also gave me some hope that perhaps the next Hitler was aborted as well.

  • Which diorama taught me something I did not know?
  • It's not that I didn't know anything about pollution, I just never thought to think of the good and the bad, side by side. It's like when your doctor tells you that you're overweight, but it's not until he/she hands you a three pound can of Crisco and explains to you that's what fat weighs that you start to worry about that little pooch upfront..

  • Which diorama was very creative?
  • I thought this was a great piece! I fully support the rights of Gays and Lesbians. My God teaches me to love one another, but it's funny how people hate in His name. I think the creator of this blog hit the nail on the head.
  • What did I have to say about this diorama?
  • I loved Ashley's diorama. She asked me my input because she knows how strongly I feel we have a need to be over there in Iraq. She strongly believes that it's being fought over bad blood and oil... I gave her my full support and I even prompted her to show the flag in a distressed mode... we each heard people muttering their dislike of her display, but it doesn't matter. My family has shed its blood so that Ashley may have her opinion.

  • Could the message in this diorama be considered propaganda?
  • To me, it did scream propaganda because it was put together poorly; they focused on the Troops, which is quite important, but nothing more is shown... other than little plastic Soldiers. I am a HUGE supporter of our military; in fact, I volunteer with six military organizations and I come from a military family. I currently support six complete strangers who are deployed overseas because I feel it's my duty. Those who just say it's about the Troops don't help us garner support; it's also for the civilians over there who need us.


No comments:

Post a Comment